These machines go under various names:
- chipper shredder vacuum
- chipper shredder vac
- lawn vacuum
- yard vacuum
- leaf vacuum shredder
- leaf vacuum mulcher
- shredder vac
- and so on.
I’ll use the term chipper shredder vacuum on this site because that best sums up what these things are all about.
Chipper shredders vacuums are terrific tools for quickly reducing the amount of debris in your yard. This is especially true if you have lots of deciduous trees around you, where leaves, twigs, and branches can accumulate quickly.
These machines are designed to be used in motion. They are gas powered and combine the qualities of walk behind mowers with the capabilities of chipper shredders.
They also include vacuums, designed to suck up the debris from your yard so that it can be processed and mulched for easy disposal.
If you are thinking about maybe investing in one of these types of machines, here is some information that can help you with how to buy the walk behind chipper shredder that will suit you best.
Size and power of chipper shredder vacuums
Most walk behind chipper shredders use gasoline engines to power their operations. The functions powered by the engine include chipping, shredding, and vacuuming, so the engine needs to be large and powerful enough to accomplish these tasks.
Most of these machines feature engines rated between four and eight horsepower (Hp).
In some case the manufacturers advertise the engine size in cubic centimeters instead of horsepower. Most models have engines between 170 and 210cc, with 173 and 185 cc models being the most common.
Walk behind chipper shredder machines are typically a bit wider than the average walk behind lawnmower. The most common width of these units is 24 inches, which is an ideal width for most yards. These units can weigh in excess of 100 pounds, but they are equipped with wheels so you do not have to lift the machine under most circumstances.
Even so, their size means that they are bulky and you do need to be reasonably fit and strong to work with most models.
How do walk behind chipper shredder vacuums compare to gas powered and electric chipper shredders?
Walk behind chipper shredders use gasoline powered engines, but they are set up quite differently to typical gas powered wood chipper shredders.
Traditional gas powered machines are meant to be set up in a particular location to operate. Once operations have ceased in one area, they can be moved to a different location to operate.
Walk behind units are meant to be used in motion. They are kind of like a hybrid of a vacuum cleaner and a lawnmower. The engine is responsible for powering the vacuum, which sucks your lawn debris into the shredding mechanism. Also, a feeder cone or chute is included so that you can push larger twigs and small branches into the machine for chipping.
Most walk behind chipper shredders use bags to collect the shredded debris. Some of them also include the capability to blow the debris off to the side of the machine. Other designs allow for the mulched material to be placed back into the yard for fertilization purposes.
Electric chipper shredder machines bear very little resemblance to walk behind units. Other than the fact that they contain blades designed to process yard debris, the operations of these machines are quite different. Like most gas powered chipper shredders, electric models are meant to be operated in a semi stationary location.
Features to look out for in walk behind chipper shredder vacuums
If you are thinking about buying a walk behind chipper shredder, there are some features you need to consider before you make a purchase.
First of all, your unit should have an engine capable of powering all aspects of the machine’s operation during your normal usage. Look for engines made by reputable brands like Honda or Briggs and Stratton.
Most of these machines have engines that are typically used in lawn mowers. However, chipper shredder vacuums are usually large and heavier than lawn mowers, so you need to make sure that your model has an engine powerful enough to shift the weight and do the job of processing leaves and other material. Look for a minimum of around 190cc or 6Hp.
Be sure that the machine you buy includes a chipper feeder cone. This part of the machine is used for feeding larger branches into the chipping mechanism. Debris that is too large to vacuum must be fed into this mechanism, so be sure that it is adequate for the work you want to do.
But bear in mind that chipping is not the main task that these machines are designed for.
Vacuum and blowing
The vacuuming mechanism of a walk behind chipper shredder is also very important. It needs to be able to pick up most debris in a single pass, otherwise you could spend more time doing your chores than you would prefer.
Some models have a detachable vacuum hose that lets you vacuum up leaves from flower beds and under hedges. Others have a blowing feature that allows you to blow material off to the side as you walk along vacuuming.
Make sure that the model you buy comes with a durable bag, strong enough not to be torn by the twigs that are sucked into and large enough so that you don’t have to keep stopping to empty it.
The bag should be easy to attach and remove, or you could be in for some headaches when it comes time to dispose of the debris.
The Best uses for walk behind chipper shredders vacuums
These machines can take the place of several other implements currently found in your garage or storage shed. With a walk behind chipper shredder, you can perform the work of a rake, lawn sweeper and stationary chipper or shredder all in one machine.
These units are great for clearing debris from moderate to large sized lawns and they make it easy for operators to take care of mulching and disposing of common yard debris.
If you have been thinking about purchasing a garden chipper shredder, you have probably taken a look at the popular electric and gas powered models. However, it may be possible that a walk behind model is ideal for you and your chores.
These machines are able to quickly process waste material from your yard and they allow you to complete the processes of collection and shredding in one step.
However, given the multi-task nature of these machines, you are unlikely to get the ability to carry out all functions reliably and adequately in cheaper models.
Since you are combining several tools in one, it really is advisable to go for the highest quality unit you can buy.
Amazon best sellers
The models below are current Amazon best sellers. So these are worth considering given that the best sellers are almost exclusively those that have received a high number of good customer reviews.
- Powerful: 12-amp motor rakes a 13" wide path to get your job done faster
- Adjustable deck: tailor raking depth with 5-position depth control
- Scarified: use the Scarified function to cut grass roots for thicker growth, healthier lawns
- Air boost technology: spring Steel tines for maximum thatch pickup
- Accessories: detachable thatch collection bag for easy disposal
- New larger metal impeller drives power and improved mulching
- Powerful up to 250 mph degree
- Vacuum tube, bottom-zip bag, power insert, concentrator nozzle and cord storage hook included; Extension cord not included
- Variable speed control for better control in both blower and vac mode
- Top rated air horse power degree degree for comparison purposes only; Performance claims based on controlled laboratory testing
- The 12 amp motor operates a 3 in 1 blower, vacuum and mulcher all in one
- 250 Miles per hour blower with 2 speed selections. Disposable leaf bag system
- Weight 8.1 pounds. Blower ideal for clearing driveways, sidewalks, decks, and garages of debris and fall leaves from yard. Heavy duty vacuum is ideal for vacuuming leaves, grass clippings, twigs, pine needles, and other lawn debris
- Can grind up to 16 bags of mulch down to one
- Easy change between vacuum and blower. Includes Blow Tube, Vacuum Tube, EZ Empty reusable collection bag and Concentrator
- 3 MAJOR YARD TOOLS IN ONE: Change functions with just a flip of the switch, no need to stop and change out a tube; go from a 210 mph blower to a vacuum that sucks up dry leaves at up to 14 gallons per minute
- 16:1 MULCH RATIO: The metal impeller chops 16 bags of leaves into just 1 bag
- ADJUSTABLE AIRFLOW SPEED: Sometimes you need to slow it down to clean out corners or small spaces, so the blower can be brought down to 80 mph
- ONE-HANDED OPERATION: When in blower and vacuum modes you only need one hand to handle all that power; it's only 9.5 lbs
- GET UNDER THE DECK: The clever angled tube design can get under the patio or lawn furniture to blow or vacuum up leaves in tough to get at places
- Mesh back 25 cu. Ft. "Flow thru" hopper fills more completely than other hoppers reducing the time need to empty; 2-tool assembly takes approximately 30 minutes
- Pull button brush Height adjustment lever with easy to use indicator will never slip and assures optimum Height for Best performance , Pallet Quantity - 8
- Sweeper Tongue can be offset to cut and sweep in one pass without using tools.Wheels: 12" x 3"
- Improved dump lever can be Operated without leaving the tractor seat. Brush to wheel ratio: 5.6: 1
- Entire sweeper can be folded up and collapsed without tools saving on storage space.Brushes should Only move during forward rotation. If brushes rotate in both directions, drive Pin isjamming the ratchet gear. Disassemble and make sure drive Pin moves freely
- HEAVY DUTY CLEANING: The Shop-Vac Industrial dry shop sweep is designed for quick & easy cleaning of small to medium areas, indoors & out. It's ideal for warehouses, malls, dock areas, storefronts, factories & machine shops, parking areas or sidewalks
- EFFICIENT CLEANING: This vacuum features 2 height settings, an 8-gallon easy-to-empty filter/collection bag, built-in kick stand, safety switch & a heavy-duty nylon impeller that mulches as it cleans. Designed for large materials such as saw dust & leaves. Electrical Ratings- 120V 60Hz 6Amps
- GOT DIRT? Shop-Vac's full line of products includes cordless, rechargeable wet dry vacuums, automotive vacuum systems, air movers, attachments & more. Whatever the job, Shop-Vac has you covered!
- AN AMERICAN ORIGINAL: Shop-Vac offers the most complete line of vacuum cleaners, bags, filters, attachments, kits, & other cleaning tools available for home, industrial, & commercial applications.
- TOUGH & DEPENDABLE: Shop-Vac Corporation is the recognized world leader in wet/dry vacuum cleaners. Since 1965, we have made innovative, high quality vacuum cleaners, filters, bags, & other accessories.
- 3-In-1: surface sweeper, vacuum and Mulcher
- Powerful: 14-amp motor provides maximum suction
- Max airspeed: blower generates airspeeds up to 165 mph
- Max Air volume: generates maximum air volume of 600 CFM
- Durable: high-impact resistant impeller mulches leaves up to 1/15Th Their original size
- Integral Dust skirt
- Zipper less bag
- 40 gallon bag volume
- Self propelled
- Briggs engine
- Dependable Briggs & Stratton engine
- 80-mph suction to pick up leaves, grass clippings, pine needles and other lawn debris
- Additional hose kit for zero turn mowers available (part number 65640) and accessory hand held 12 foot hose kit available to vacuum under decks, shrubs, and other hard to reach areas (model number 45-0253).
- Adaptable to fit over 40 different tractor decks up to 54 in wide. Tractor must be right side discharge and belly mounted mower deck. 32 cu ft capacity
- 3 Year Limited Consumer Warranty (Engine is warrantied by engine manufacturer); Made in USA with some imported components
- [LEAF BLOWER, MULCHER & VACUUM] The proprietary design changes from a blower, to a vacuum with a mulcher, on just the turn of a dial. You could blow, vacuum, and mulch all day long if you wanted. But you won't have to. The WORX TRIVAC makes quick work of yard work
- [A WIDE, STRONG STREAM OF AIR] 600 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) come streaming out of the wide-mouth tube. That's high-capacity air volume so you clear your property with less passes back and forth
- [METAL MULCHER] The metal impeller with its shredder blade cuts in two stages, chopping leaves down to a 16:1 mulch ratio (that's 16 bags of leaves mulched into 1)
- [QUICK, DETACHABLE BAG] When it's time for composting or collection, the bag has an easy-release. No muss, no fuss. Turn a dirty job into a quick one
- [2 SPEEDS FOR DIFFERENT JOBS] It's actually better to go slow for pavement or tight corners. But on the open lawn, switch to speed 2 for maximum performance and let's see what it can do
Last update on 2020-03-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Great Chipper Shredders – but not walk behind models
These are static models from Patriot Products, but well worth investigating:
Last update on 2020-03-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Did you find this article useful? If so, it would really help me if you could share it using any of the buttons below. How about giving it a Facebook like or a Tweet?